The Party/Rave isn't the same



Rooftop: we arrived
So  a friend and I went to a rooftop party in the neighbourhood around July. This was the second time that I had attempted to go to this event.   I was glad that this time I  had made it and had some good  company. You know good company is priceless because even if the party is rubbish you can still have a good time chatting, laughing and dancing to whatever music  they manage to play that gets your feet moving. Music promised to be 'tight' , in other words good, and I was wearing flats (a bonus). I was ready to throw down.  The days of dancing in heels is over for me. Sad but true. Anyway had free ticket,  had to get in there by a specific time and was raring to get into the party spirit. Whilst I'm not fussed about paying I think that I have reached that point now where I really want to access some good stuff for free. I mean for the years of contributing and paying I am due some freeness and good free events at that !  Feel me?

So got in no hassle  but had to show some ID which was crazy!  My friend and I  had to prove we were over 28! Lol. Let me breathe a little 'cause I am sure that I don't need the ID but it felt nice to be asked. At least I could fool myself into thinking that I was a spring chicken. Anyway we had to make our way to the top and there were two levels  of up and up. We went to the bar bought frozen strawberry D's and made our way UP. Sun shining, music pumping and all was good with the evening.

About half an hour later and we were joined by four women who knew my friend. One was celebrating her fortieth birthday and had already been 'rocking' prior to coming here. So to say they were tore up would not be correct but they didn't need to buy any drink for now at least! So music was still good and we were all vibing. As the evening went on the music got better. Well lets say it was taking us all down memory lane and  we were beginning to really swing or let loose.

one of my first observation  was that people looked like photoshoot models. Why do I say that?  Well I haven't been to a dance and seen a number of women take out make up, mirror and brush etc to fix their face in broad daylight i.e. not in the ladies room. Just taking their kit out like it was literally a photo shoot and they were getting their faces ready for the next shot!

Then I saw people just interacting with their phones. They seem to be texting others talking to others apart from the people they seem to be with!  Then they were taking selfies. So now I begun to understand the make up ting  because they want to look good in the selfies they were taking.  Next I saw selfie sticks up and groups taking group photos to remind them of the time and location.
Me? Well  I have to admit I did take a couple of selfies. About 6 and two videos.  You see I had been sent on a mission recognisant for the location because another group of people I mingle with were planning a social and wanted to know what the rooftop looked like with a live event taking place so after that video was taken and posted to the group my job was done. I took one other just so I could remember the vibe of the group that I was with.
You see I am used to sweating when I go out  dancing and make up was never a real factor it was the dance moves and the grooving. Even if you wore make up  - you knew it was going to sweat off and that if it wasn't water proof that was it! Well that was then and I guess now is now. As things got heated up one of the four women who had joined me and my friend decided to challenge a guy who swooped her up in his arms and then appeared to  struggle to manage/ balance her.  She fell to the ground and he stumbled on top of her and then what I expected did not happen.



I expected either when he was getting up that he would help her to stand up or that someone would step in to help her up.  Do you know what happened? A wall of mobile phones came out to film them even while she was still  on the floor! I was in shock
shocked expression free images.com

In the older days of raving you would have either kept on partying and let them figure it out, chuckle and move on, or people would have helped them out and carried on partying but now it looks like we have created a generation of voyeurs. We have become  on 'lookers on life'. Well  maybe that is too harsh.  But i'm thinking that if some one was in distress would you be taking your mobile phone out?

Well  judging from recent event - for example  in the USA where another black man was shot and killed when he was pulled over by the police for an alleged broken tail light.  A video was all over social media where his girlfriend was videoing the incident as it unfolded. It was so distressing to see: a man dying in front of your eyes.  Black Lives Matter and so in this instance where documentation of injustice and crimes against people, especially people of colour,  are taking place then being a 'justice journalist' capturing things witnessed  has its place. However I think you taking it too far when you are in a rave!

Enjoy  the moments. Some moments are meant to be lost. We cannot remember everything no mater how hard we try because life moves at such a pace that you will never truly catch it. The best thing to do is experience it, enjoy it, savour it, live it. love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Sequel

Why a Blog?

First Day at School