First Day Sequel

The day was a tease. My youngest sent me a text and I got all excited. I started texting back asking various questions and then it stopped. Or should I say she stopped. I started watching the clock and phone thinking she’d text me when she left school. Then I'd get the low down. Yep she texted stating she was on her way home and that there was a lot of traffic out there. But when I texted back did she respond? I worried a bit then pushed past it and thought if anything happened out there I would hear about. I continued working. Finally while driving home around 5.30pm my eldest rang to ask some random question. Whilst talking to her I received a text from my youngest. "I'm home!” Wait didn't school come out at 3.15pm! What the heck had taken her so long? At the most she would be home by 4pm so where has she been? I told my eldest to tell her sister that I wanted a word. Hear the child " I got home long time ago mum I only just remembered to text you ". OK I get it! I'm not the centre of her world but come on it was her first day. Give me something! True to my thoughts (my way of phrasing ok?) When I got home I listened to her tell me everything she wanted to say about her first day. She had survived. She made 2 new friends and saw a few friends, from her primary school, who had started at the new school. She stated they had more time for lunch than she remembered at primary and she made poor choice for her lunch. To me lunch is not a patty, drink and crisps. I told her that her lunch choice wasn't acceptable. If I'm giving you my hard earned cash make the right choices: Hot food and drink! I’m glad to say was echoed by my eldest (I must have done something right). My youngest went on to detail staff members that apparently knew me. I felt glad that there was something familiar that gave her some kind of comfort. The big surprise for her was that one of her primary school friends had cut all his hair off! Change comes in many shapes and sizes. His was to leave his hair on the floor of a barber. It was nice sitting down talking with my girls about school. Now my eldest was excited to go back for her year 9 experience. How we would need to change out routine at home: limited TV, iPad sessions, more reading, homework and research. It's an important year for us all and we need time to balance things out and develop a sense of commitment and consistency. I've got to book those Yoga classes to help us learn to release any stress because it gonna be a bumpy ride. Let's see how tomorrow fairs. 4th September 07.06. Panic stations! Some people got up late. Some people still can't find their bus pass. Thank God I am not at work today. Mum to the rescue. Well it gives me a chance to share another experience: Seeing both my girls in full uniform leaving the house together and entering the school gates together. Priceless.

Comments

  1. Wonderful. I don't even know how to put pictures up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev thank you! What a beautiful piece! I reconnected with so many of these experiences through your writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day at School

Why a Blog?