From Ferguson to London: Black Lives Matter

The other night I went to listen to Diane Abbott MP deliver a Redmond O'Neill Memorial Lecture: From Ferguson to London Black Lives Matter. Ms Abbott gave a good lecture. She historically contextualized the psyche that has implicitly linked Black people to the concept that we are somehow inhumane. This false conceptualisation has encouraged some white people to view black people as 'animals' and as such has allows black people to be treated and perceived as animals therefore never having to refer to our humanity (crudely stated but you get my meaning).

Whilst listening I wondered how could we move forward from this current place. I mean what could I expect in a half hour lecture? Yes unity and solidarity in numbers against injustice is a good tactic. Unite with others who suffer this same stigma gives us common ground to fight against state oppression. But how can we expect to change the state and its way of dealing with diversity and those who are different?  

(Mmm I thought) Will I see the change in my lifetime? The sad answer is I may see some changes but the change that I want to see will take time. I mean how do you change an attitude? I thought that the gains made over the last 50 years would be embedded. The reality is that they have consistently been eroded. 

The daily media continues to operate on levels to separate people rather than celebrate our diversity. Recent headlines in the UK press reveal the distraction and division that it seeks to feed. Black people appear to only be celebrated in the stereotypes that have been created. With adverts and fund raising campaigns black people are stereotypically perceived as needy. We are more than sports and music and yet when it comes to enlisting our support to demonstrate we are able to galvanise people we are not shown, or even considered, in this light. There are black organisations that promote, support, galvanise and rise up those within their community. Black people exist in every sphere you can think of and contribute widely to the world we live in. I mean why can't we have someone like British actor Idris Elba play the character James Bond and not just the role of a drug dealer? I say we all have a place at the 'table'.

It's true if you live long enough you see the same patterns and Ken Livingstone, who provided the introduction at the above event, stated that  during his lifetime he had seen prejudice in the UK move from - Jews, Irish, Caribbean’s and now witnessed by Islamophobia. In one inhale I thought I am glad that today a black face isn't on front page and that it's someone else's turn to take the head line. But as I exhale I feel bad because I know the following 2 things 1) if you are not seen as white you are black regardless of your shade and 2) more importantly being a victim isn't a nice space to live.


Being human is the only way to live. Being human is the only space we should live in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Sequel

First Day at School

Why a Blog?