They take care of their own.


Let me ask you something… “Does equal opportunity really exist in the work place? “

I have seen new faces appear but no job advert goes out? How the hell can you by pass the system? Well it looks like you can. Head hunting is well and truly alive! I can’t see how it make more financial sense to make a whole department redundant and then fill all the places with agency staff? I can’t see the logic or sense in using consultants when you could just as easy advertise the job and get someone in who is gonna stay more than 5 minutes! Or maybe that is! I’m not supposed to. If your face doesn't fit is that it?

I’ve been soooo p **ed off when I’ve been doing a job and then without any notification they appoint someone to be your ‘boss’. Where the hell was the announcement? The advert? The interview? Now you walk up in here and presented this person to me and say ”show them the ropes” I think you either lost your mind, ‘cause you have a cheek to ask me to train them up, or you really trying to tell me something. What are you really trying to say that I’ve lost the job but you just haven’t told me yet? What kinda madness is that? Now I’m in a mad place. I don’t trust you and the new person that I’m expected to befriend and show everything. The person who will turn around one day and tell me that they want things done their way. The one who will tell me one day “ if you don’t like it you can always leave”. The person that really don’t know what the hell they’re talking about but will jump up in my face at the slightest thing. Because you and my boss are ‘friends’. I got to hold my tongue. After all who can I run to? Who? The union? Don’t make me laugh. But i find out it’s the union i should have joined before this became an issue because right now they are not gonna help. Now I have a problem. I’m not comfortable at work. I tell you what I got to do. I gotta watch my back and cover my ass.

When I look around the office, school or wherever do I see people here that reflect the diversity I see in the street? When I walk into educational institutions: schools colleges, local council offices etc I look at the pictures of senior management. Rarely have I been surprised to find people on these boards that represent the people I see in the street. When I went to my daughter’s school I saw an array of cultures represented on their board with a variety of positions: senior and support staff. When I’ve looked at others they are usually European people smiling back at me. Yeah yeah I know about male /female ratio but right at this moment in time I see white faces looking back at me. Because after looking at the faces and seeing that they are all white I then scan to see if there are any women. If there are women I look at them real hard to see if in this woman’s face I can see that she might understand me and my experience. I don't assume anymore. Last night I went to the local leisure centre and looked at one of these boards and they all had white faces looking back at me. Yet when I looked at their reception staff 3 out of the 4 staff dealing with the people were not white. This tells me far more about the company than they realise.

I know, just as there is a God in the sky, if I owned a company......if things were the the other way round .... or if I did sh*t like what I’ve seen and heard, that I would be dragged into a tribunal just like that! I would be accused of being racist and made an example of. Lol. I got to laugh because I don’t believe I can be racist. I know I can be prejudice. Racist? Really now? Do I look like I hold any power? Now do I? But let me tell you what I do hold. The vote. This I’m gonna use.


Image courtesy of www.crossline.karoo.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Sequel

First Day at School

Why a Blog?