Schools: Grammar schools what is our alternative?

Balance@freeimages.com

Grammar schools equate to class and money. Neither of which I possess in great quantity. A  comprehensive school system might allow me the option of taking these out of the equation and looking at accessing quality education that works to make the best of us all. Education is not for the so called elite. It is for ALL. Allowing my  children to develop  their true potential is all I want as a mother. So how can this be achieved?  I think if  I look back most of my work experience has been about getting involved and trying to stem the fall out for children who have had poor experiences in their education. But I  realised that some of my dreams may have been were too big for the places I have worked. It seems you need a big voice or is it really all about connected friends?

I became involved in school governance and developed a strategic perspective but realised politics has serious impact that filters down  to the class room. Did I have to become more politically aware to have more impact? Was I being political but asking questions? I don't know but last year I became a member of  an organisation called Comprehensive Future because I really think that working in unequal structures creates inequalities. Grammars are part of the selective school system and I had to think about whether  the 11 plus serves 'us' or seek to divide 'us'.  Who is left out of the equation and why?  In reality we all develop at different rates and selection and rejection at 11 can have a huge impact on a child.  

I wrote  the following blog in November 2014 after attending a meeting I had been invited to.  
Writing wall. Free images.com

Last month I went to Comprehensive Futures' AGM  to  learn more about the organisation arguing for a comprehensive secondary school system with fair admissions and an end to selection by ability http://comprehensivefuture.org.uk/ .  The key note speaker Tristan Hunt MP Shadow Secretary of State for Education and whilst it was interesting listening to him outlined the Labour parties educational priorities it raised a  few questions and challenges.  I  was thinking, while sitting there, how does it relate to me? How does it relate to my children and what have I seen from my experiences?  I was also questioning whether those in politics were really in touch with local parent thinking? Of course I wanted to ask some questions but there were so many hands raised in the room that time eventually ran out. I found it  really interesting to hear what others had to say and afterwards I spoke with some people one of whom was Ms Fiona Millar . Fiona had written an interesting article  http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/07/choice-schools-children-parents-admissions-selection  that made it clear to me that I am not the only person with something to say about our education system. Thank goodness I was beginning to think there was tumbleweed in the place!

When I previously posted around this idea and asked parents why our voice was not present I knew there was a bigger debate going on and the this group has awoken my desire  that we have quality of education for all. The article above also demonstrates how important it is for us to get involved in shaping the schools that we want to see. I said if we didn't that others would do it for us and nothing is more true.  So as we get ready for the elections what are the things that will be important to us? I can not speak for you but for me its the legacy I leave for my children. Education is just one key part in that legacy. So who will I vote for because vote I must.


When it comes to education all political parties have to be asked some serious questions. Must we keep on doing the same things with little result?  Is it a given that all schools must now become academies or federations? Should be really be looking at schools like we do business? If the banking crisis is anything to go by they will p*** all over the schools and walk away unscathed as it appears bankers have done. We the ordinary man and woman will be left to pay the price and I don't play when it comes to the education of my children!


Why all the fuss you might say? What is the argument? Grammar schools are obviously better than the state schools or maintained schools aren't they?  The Director of the Institute of Education, London, Professor Chris Husbands' article Selection at 11- a very English  debate  http://www.sec-ed.co.uk/best-practice/selection-at-11-a-very-english-debate/?utm_content=&utm_campaign=SecEd%20December%204&utm_source=SecEd&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http://www.sec-ed.co.uk/best-practice/selection-at-11-a-very-english-debate/ helped me to question whether grammar schools really serve the needs of the many and whether teaching our children to accept failure at 11 is the ethos I wish to support?  It basically says that there is no proof in the pudding that grammar schools achieve better than state schools. If that is the case why are people so eager to open more?


Should I just follow what someone in government and even our local mayor Boris Johnson thinks ? Just because they think grammar schools are better  should I? Look Boris Johnson  never lived or was educated in my area. He never mixed with my locals who represent a diverse cross section of the community. He never  experienced my local comprehensive nor did he play with the kids around my way. He never lived on an estate and wasn't one of the first people in his family to go to University. I don't suppose for one moment he struggled financially  and although he may have encountered some struggles in his life the privilege he encountered is not extended to all.  Whilst it may be true he attended primary in Camden that is where the similarity ends. Ashdown House, Eton and Oxford are part of his pedigree and it this he and others are trying to promote. Where are the facts and evidence that grammar is better.    My question is don't we owe it to ourselves to at least think of  alternatives?


My neighbour 'Fred' thinks that we will not stop the idea of grammar schools. OK Fred have them if we must but don't tell me that they work for 90% of the population. The data doesn't appear to stack up.  I think that the stereotype has been so successfully planted that we kind of give up thinking we can change anything before  we really push the boundaries. I want  excellent education full stop. I don't have the networks or money to secure this so I have to demand more of the local school. I am not a trouble maker but why shouldn't we push for higher standards across the ball? Everyone should have access to quality education.


So what do I want to be promoted? I want excellent education for all. It should not all be about business. Education  is not business it should be passion.  Critical thinking should be for all and not the few. Do grammar schools really cater for our children. Do we insist that they do? I think we spend more time trying to shape our children into what they might accept rather than work with the potential that they are?  I give you my child show me what you are doing. impress me and make me think that it was worth investing them to your organisation. Help my children to shine brighter than I ever thought possible or is it all based on what you think they should shine like? Do I assume that you have high expectations but where do these expectations come from? Do you work with my children or are you  expected us to do all the changing?


Parents are you watching the debates as they heat up? Do you recognise the questions that are not being asked, ignored or twisted to fit the speakers purpose?  Is it time I woke up and finally asked the political parties if they intend to make education equal for all rather than fight the small battles should I really concentrate on the 'war'?


I have been so impressed with Comprehensive Future. members have been been working away asking questions that, let's be honest, some people wished they would just stop asking. Why do some politicians want more grammar schools that only serve a minority of the community? Why are we not fighting for our  local schools to be better than they are? At the organisations heart are  people with experience, knowledge and passion  and they are asking some critical questions. Not just questions that focus on our present but more importantly the  future. I think if I'm honest becoming more politically aware has it challenges but doesn't life present us with challenges. It is how we embrace them that counts. 


Now that the country has a new Labour leader, Mr Jeremy Corbyn  and new shadow Education Secretary Lucy Powell they have got their work cut out for them. How do you  turn  back the wheel of motion (created by others) who  expected to predict how things proceed . These 'new people' are not your game players. The tide is changing people are no longer content to ignore their neighbour or step on his /her head to advance themselves. There is a social  awakening  that people want to help each other and care for the world they live in. The tide of change is upon us all it is time to get involved so that your voice is heard. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day at School

First Day Sequel

Why a Blog?