Health scares: Are they trying to kill us off?

The other night I was talking to a mate of mine and one comment  he said made had me sit up. He said that it wasn't public knowledge that the UK blood banks had been sold off to a company that ran Burger King! I laughed however he wasn’t. I said I had to check it out and sure enough he was correct.  UK plasma supplier sold to US article 18th July 2013 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/is-there-no-limit-to-what-this-government-will-privatise-uk-plasma-supplier-sold-to-us-private-equity-firm-bain-capital-8718029.html.  Ok it is a subsidiary company but none the less the point stands.

I tried to think about what this actually means to the service we might receive. Here in the UK there are blood drives where the public are reminded to give their donate their blood. There are people who regularly and freely donate their blood to help the NHS service in the work that they do. We do not sell our blood but is this where we are heading?  Why would you sell off, sorry why would you privatise something like this? I mean selling of 80% share to this company is just handing it to them. Isn’t it? Why would you give away the bloodline of the NHS like that? Is it all about profit? Should it be all about profit?  If we don't want privatisation shouldn't we campaign and make our voices count?

Our talk and this article lead me to thinking about my mother. My mother is in her 70's and like most of that generation she spends her time between Jamaica and the UK. Years ago my mother required an operation in Jamaica and was informed that before they could do this she had to donate her own blood in case she needed a blood transfusion! The hospital wouldn’t perform the operation until this was provided. I remember being shocked at the time that a hospital would insist that this happened but my anger was placed on hold because she needed the op. She had the operation there was no incident and her blood was not used. What happened to her blood? I couldnt remember what happened to her blood but when I spoke to her last night she told me it was a regular practice that still goes on. She also said that my stepfather had to pay someone to go and donate blood too! That brings up a whole different set of questions but I will stop right there. My mum has passed retirement age and because of a family horror story I insist upon regular check-ups each year.  

My mum and godmother  returned to Jamaica and both lived in the same area. A few years back my godmother was not well. I don't know all the details but what I do know is that she was diagnosed with Cancer. I know that all my cousins were extremely concerned and initially sent out money to help with the medical bills. The next thing I heard was that one of her eldest daughters sent for her to come to the UK with the intention of getting a second opinion. When my godmother came over and got the second opinion the family were in shock. For she did not have Cancer! She was fine. Well you can guess the hell that was raised. In fact the family moved her back to the UK! When I spoke to her she told me she would never go back to live in that place. The place where she had been born! I had mixed feelings. I was relieved that she was not terminally ill as had been suspected. I was glad that her children brought her back to the UK where she had lived for over 40 years and where she had worked and contributed to the same health care system that the government seem happy to sell off and privatise!

Now imagine that you are thousands of miles away in another country knowing that your mother lives alone without family nearby who can support her. Imagine again that when you go to visit you have to cultivate relationships with people to create a reliable network of souls who will either contact you or take care of your mother on your behalf. You pay for this service in one form or another. Unlike what I witness here in the UK putting my elderly parent in a nursing home is not really my first option. I regularly talk with my mum  and keep a check on any health issues. Whenever my mum feels sick or finds that she has to go to the hospital she has to pay before any tests are even run! Can you imagine being sick and before anyone can begin to deal with your pain you have to find money to pay so that a conversation can take place! 

My mum and stepfather returned to enjoy retirement in Jamaica but they didn't know the system. They had left Jamaica as young people. They lived, worked, paid taxes and national health taxes all their adult lives in the UK. Returning home had always been their dream. When my step father died it was a harrowing experience for my mother. This was our first encounter with the Jamaican hospital system and it was through the eyes of my mother. She reported to me that she had to regularly take bed clothes to the hospital to change his bed because this was not done. She had to take food to him because what was given did not aid recovery and she had to visit him to keep him company because there was little comfort or support provided. He died from leukaemia but there is more to the story which will not bring him back. My mother was left with the heavy burden of her experience which she doesn't talk about much. Now image,as her only daughter, what weight I carry as she gets older? 

I always seek a second opinion on whatever her doctor says. I always research the drugs given and talk with mum about the side effects. I worry all the time and try to hide it but each time we talk I look and listen keenly  and when I plan her return annual trips  my first concerns are to ensure that she receives her check-ups and we follow through any issues as early as they arise. Mum is independent and I have to weigh up her wishes to remain so along with my long term concerns. She used to suffer from Vertigo suffered regular episodes which had her flat on her back taking prescribed drugs from her GP. When she came to the UK the second opinions resulted in tests and found she had an ear imbalance! So those drugs were thrown out the window! In the end I told her to get another GP but it appears like there is a practice of trying to use my mother as a guinea pig and I know that happens in the UK too. I just feel sad that she appears to be treated like ‘foreigner’ in her birth place.  
Fotolia guinea pig www.stannesvets.co.uk 

I am glad that I found out about an organisation that is seeking to raise our awareness and help  hospitals in Jamacia. http://rejuvenatejamaicahospitals.org/ If you want to raise your awareness or to offer support please visit the link. I salute Ms Jenkins for bringing this to my attention and for her campaign to make positive changes. Thank You. 

I know that in the UK there are many incidents of misdiagnosis  and queries made as those described here  and more besides. I too have had my own issues where doctors and consultant move to a quick fix rather than promote alternatives. If I had followed their plans who knows what state my health would be in now! I was uneasy about the suggested treatment and found an alternative that has worked for me. How many of us are brave enough to say we think the doctors are wrong?   When I think of all I have said here I know that I am in a privileged position although it might not feel like it sometimes. What makes me feel uneasy is that I am concerned that people are being treated as a ‘herd’ and not treated as individuals. That where mistakes have been made people are either too cowardly or too arrogant to say they made a mistake. Selling of the plasma is a mistake that we, the ‘herd’, will pay for. Not taking care of the sick, but treating them like they are on a conveyer belt or guinea pigs, is a mistake, which we the 'herd' will pay for.

I know there are times when I just can't be bothered to fight every single battle that comes my way. I know that I cannot fight every cause. Choosing to give up on ALL battles is a mistake and something we, the ‘herd’, will pay for later. When I refused to take the operation I was told it was a mistake that I would pay for later. I am glad that I listened to that unease that stayed with me telling me that doing that operation was a mistake. If I had gone through with it I know I would be paying for it. So what have I learnt? I guess it really is to listen to that unease and follow where it leads. I know I will make mistakes. I am only human. I just don't want to deny that uneasy feeling or that alert inside that tells me “this is a mistake” because I know I will pay for it.  Do you? 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Sequel

First Day at School

Why a Blog?